Friday, August 28, 2009

Reflection - It's A Brave New World

The biggest challenge during this 'course' was finding the time to complete the activities. Summer's a bad time for stuff like this - our gate count explodes, and there really is no time for thoughtful investigation of new information, unless you are in a really quiet spot for a good length of time. I didn't want to rush through this - I wanted to learn, and I think I did.

My least favorite thing was a tie between Digg and Twitter, but I think Digg would have to win if it came to a must choose. Digg is dumb in my opinion, and Twitter at least has some redeeming qualities. I definitely cannot see using Digg ever in the future. My favorite thing is Facebook. So useful, so intuitive, and so helpful for networking and contacts. I can see a library using this for younger generations to connect.

It's hard to say which technologies our library would use. What I do intend to do in the very near future is revisit a lot of these things and mess around and try to understand each of them better. That takes a commitment to reflect over the course of time what might work and what might not. I do think I will use the Flickr mashups in conjunction with the CC licenses to make cool flyers and advertisements. I would really love to develop an in house training session, over the course of many months, for everyone interested who didn't get a chance to participate or finish. I think if we put our heads together some good potential uses of the technology would surface. 23 things might get reduced to 10 or 12, but that's OK.

Onward and upward....

No comments:

Post a Comment