Sunday, August 16, 2009

Google Docs

Based on the video, Google Docs looks to me like a very useful tool for large corporate environments. The fact that it is web-based might help with people who are very mobile and need to communicate this way. I am not sure of its application in smaller public libraries, however. I did like that I could save my document as a pdf, which I did. I did not like that the choices for fonts were so limited, however. And, I could not find an option that specifically said, "Share with Others." I did email the document to another of my email addresses, and it came through fine. If I had sent it as a word-like document the receiver could edit it - much like a wiki.

A co-worker of mine utilized Google Docs to send a proposed revision to a library policy, and what we really liked about it was that every receiver could insert their comments into the document without removing the original language, with the comments, name, and time clearly visible. This, to me, is what makes the features of Google Docs superior to some of the web-based wikis.

Keeping up with all of the changes through the googledocs blog, would to me, be mind-numbing. I would much rather have Google post changes in folders easily accessible from the Google Docs site, and not have to go to a separate blog.

The ability for the form responses to automatically fill in a spreadsheet appealed to me - this would be very efficient when dealing with a lot of co-workers' responses.

It might have been nice to read about examples of actual libraries using this feature, and what they think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment