Thursday, August 27, 2009

As The LibWorm Turns

I found uneven results through my searches within LibWorm. I think the site could be vastly improved with a more robust, advanced search feature that employs Boolean terms. It seemed to me that there were a lot of hits from sites/blogs in the UK.


On my first phrase search, I entered "chick lit" and got a lot of blogs. Some of those went to the entire blog itself and did not narrow it down to the particular posting within the blog, which is totally unuseful. Perhaps that is a function of how the blog is set up. There was already one dead link within the first 5 hits. Lots of book reviews of course, and I definitely needed to put the phrase in quotations.

I did like the subject area and category sections. There was a mixed bag of results, which is kind of fun. Under Young Adults, I got a hit for a conservative blogger complaining about Obama's health care policy-proposal, so I am not quite sure how that fits into the scheme of library related RSS feeds. There were lots of foreign language feeds that came up under "Public Libraries"; it would be nice to be able to filter those out. I especially liked the Medical category and subject areas - very interesting stuff. And, I found an amusing blog in the Personal blog section that I think I will follow!


I am not so sure how useful the tags are; some of the terms within the clouds are just way too broad. I did click on "copyright" and got some pretty interesting feeds, and that term alone might yield some good results.

What LibWorm needs is more refinement, with an Advanced Search and filters. Fun site to visit, but watch your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment