Saturday, August 15, 2009

Digg This - NOT!

Digg just did not appeal to me at all. It seems to me to be a site for people with a LOT of time on their hands, and I mean a LOT. College students, I am sure, would love it, as they can avoid studying and completing homework.

Lots of ephemera on this site, which is not necessarily bad, but surfing around looking at it is a huge time sink, and frankly, I don't have that kind of time to waste. I much prefer Google News as an aggregator. Yes, I will miss the obscure stuff, and Digg could find that for me. But I can't see myself accessing Digg more than once every couple of weeks, if that. I think I would just get tired of it. And I don't have any innate need to be 'popular', as Digg invites you to be.

And I am not quite sure how Digg fits into a public library setting - unless you could have one person dedicated to reading it every day to find interesting things to promote. Which is not going to happen, as we all know. Yes, I think maybe a small network of friends might benefit from sharing news things they find, but really it all seems like overkill to me. More Noise, Noise, Noise - another friendly curmudgeonly observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment